Sunday 7 June 2009

The Soundscapes - Freestyle Family


There is a lot of history behind The Soundscapes, the band comprising of brothers Rodrigo and Raphael Carvalho spent their youth living in Brazil listening to Pavement, Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen records, having formed their first band at the age of 14 and moved around the world, they moved to Brooklyn in 2003 and spent three years absorbing their surroundings before creating The Soundscapes. The result is an album full of lo-fi, atmospheric indie with huge happy slices of pop thrown in.
It's one of those albums that I take great pleasure in reviewing as I could talk about it all day. I love their sound, happy pop hooks yet there is so much of depth to it, melodic, reverbed guitars, mixed with domineering drums and the sort of lo fi recording that may well win them over a large fanbase. Freestyle Family will be a staple summer album for me. I love the fact that their is only two of them but when listening there really shouldn't be and I love the passion that these guys obviously have about the music and that does really transpose well into their own music.

No comments: