Saturday 16 May 2009

The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage


The Phantom Band are one of the many acts coming out of Scotland recently that seem to ignore any of the usual boundaries set by others. There really is no way to categorize their unique sound into one genre or, for that matter a number of sub genres. I think Checkmate Savage is raising the stakes for bands, it's an album full of songs that fascinate me for totally differnt reasons. The mildly upbeat almost electro opener (and latest single) 'The Howling' is only the beginning of an album full of gems, with each track going in completely different ways, songs such as 'Burial Sounds' with an eerie folk feel and the brilliant 'Left Hand Wave' which makes me nod my head every time I hear it.
Checkmate Savage is by far my album of last month and a highlight of my collection so far this year.

No comments: