Monday 20 October 2008

Friendly Fires ... And Metallica






If you had asked me a few weeks ago what two songs I would be listening to almost non stop. I would have laughed if you had said my time would be spent switching between metal legends Metallica and indie/electro newcomers Friendly Fires. First of all Friendly Fires who for me are the best thing to come out of the recent trend of NME approved bands. Their single Jump in the Pool is catchy, not annoyingly catchy, the sort of catchy that makes you want to play it a few times in a row. Plus its a song that makes me happy when I listen to it. Metallica, a band that I and a reasonable amount of their fans have been inconsistent of late have found that spark again. Teaming up with mr Rick Rubin their latest single The day that never comes is an almost eight minute onslaught of riffs, solos and the odd catchy chorus. I didnt have hugely high hopes for their album but so far so good.

No comments: