Wednesday 28 October 2009

Do Make Say Think - Scala - 22/10/09


It became apparent very quickly that having been listening to DMST for a number of years now it had never struck me just how much of an impact their music had made on me until the eight piece ensemble appeared on stage and ploughed through such beauties as ‘The Universe!’ with energy and passion. I was completely taken aback with how amazing they sounded live, they are not as in your face as some instrumental bands, their sound builds up and materializes gently gaining momentum through any number of different instruments creating beautifully euphoric parts mixed with epic riffs and heavy bass.

I was a little weary of the sound for what I saw of the last support act and knew for DMST it had to be loud and thankfully much to my concern from the first note my worries were over, the sound quality was great and catered well for the eight musicians on stage. The tracks ‘Do’ and ‘Say’ showcased from their new album ‘Other Truths’ went down a treat which was great to see as Other Truths is by far some of their finest work to date. Their encore, a hark back to much earlier material such as ‘1978,’ the opener for their self titled album introduced by the bass player stating ‘for anyone on acid, this one’s for you’ received huge applause from the crowd and changed the pace from the intense 45 minutes or so that I had witnessed before that.

The Scala was totally rammed for tonight’s sold out performance with people packing in tightly down the front eager to get a glimpse of the wondrous spectacle that was unravelling before them.
This was the second gig in as many nights that completely blew me away, bands like Do Make Say Think are pretty special and I'm sure the thousand or so fans that were there would agree.

No comments: