Wednesday 11 November 2009

Julien Dyne – Pins & Digits


It is indeed a divine thing, the part of us that we all possess inside, deeply written into our DNA, the energy that unconsciously makes humans want to vigorously move our bodies and strut our dance floor prowess to a thumpin’ tune!



The latest effort from Auckland based Julien Dyne evokes just that gene, almost every track on his new record ‘Pins & Digits‘ has just that incredible hypnotising effect. I’m vigorously tapping my foot under the desk to opening track 'Steel Legs' which leaves me up for a ‘rumble in the jungle’ as the quantised kick and snare pattern feature heavily.


I can't sit still and I find myself jigging all the way to the kitchen for a cup of morning brew. Contemplating turning the volume to eleven at this point although no doubt this level of amplification would create a kafuffle with my neighbourito’s judging by the time of day, although I’m enjoying this progressive house effort and of course I do not live in a music venue!



‘Incredulous’ lives up to its name, Julien must have sampled some of these noises from Atari computer games of the past. ‘Stained Glass’ has that good time summer feel with vocals to shiver your goose bumps, while ‘New New Zealand’s’ break beat itchy scratching DJ sample provides a stark contrast, a theme prevalent throughout the whole record. I can see the flyer now as Mr. Dyne would be caught headlining a Whirly gig chill out room and a Raindance arena on the same club night!


There is such an element of class to Julien's sound as he creates a visual significance of original soul infused Jazz crescendo, as for the main part of the album retains a hefty amount of influence from House music of the future and with stunning live Drum samples (the uber-talented Kiwi has recorded himself incidentally) creates his own style of Progressive Djembe laden grooves fused with instrumental hip hop freshness.



Don’t get me wrong, this album is as dance-y as it is chilled, but this is the late naughties and is the sound of new music today that breathes so much life into the electro dance scene. Get your ears around this belter my good people, enjoy the mood and move to the groove…

No comments: